Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I Heart Shirley Manson

For the last couple of weeks I've been seeing commericals for the seaon premiere of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, and in them were clips of a familiar looking red-headed woman with a Scottish accent. Wait, was that Shirley Manson I just saw? No, it couldn't be, could it? I tuned into the program last night, and sure enough Shirley Manson had joined the cast of SCC, as a regular, playing a T-1000 robot disguised as the head of a company. Oh my god! Garbage was my favorite band during middle school and high school. There was a point where I would listen to Version 2.0 everyday - I loved that album - and I admit I sort of had a crush on Shirley during that time. She had a strength and fierceness to her, but she she still remained feminine. She was a rock diva, and I always thought that she could probably transfer that presence into acting. (Ok that always doesn't happen - Madonna for instance) I even thought of an idea for a movie for her, a musical naturally. Anyway I'm happy to see her around, and now there's a reason for me to watch SCC. I had started watching the series during its first season, but halfway through it, lost interest. I give the series credit for actually realizing that the star of the whole franchise is Sarah Connor, not the Terminators. The third film in the franchise, Rise of the Machines did not involve her due to the character's death prior to the events taking place, and there was huge void because of it - also, because James Cameron wasn't at the helm. What made the first two films compelling was Linda Hamilton's Sarah Connor, a woman who comes to realize her son is mankind's only hope for salvation and must be protected at any cost. It brings a toll with it, on her health and her own sanity. But anyway, where was I? Oh yes, Shirley Manson. I was laughing at the last scene of the epsiode which takes place in a men's bathroom and reveals her to be a T-1000, since all I could think of was a line from Garbage's song "When I Grow Up" - "Happy hours, golden showers, on a cruise to freak you out." - LOL, so appropriate.

Just for the hell of it, my Top Ten Garabge Songs:
1. Only Happy When It Rains
2. Stupid Girl
3. #1 Crush
4. Push It
5. The World Is Not Enough
6. Special
7. Cherry Lips (Go Baby Go)
8. Breaking Up the Girl
9. Hammering in My Head
10. Queer

No comments: