Thursday, September 25, 2008

Cloris Leachman Is a National Treasure


I'm not really a fan of Dancing with the Stars, but I admit I've tuned into the show a few times. I give it credit for actually realizing it's completely kitsch and not taking itself too seriously, unlike, say American Idol, which believes its somehow important and not just a glorified Star Search or Gong Show. Anyway, I watched the show this week since I knew that Cloris Leachman was a contestant this season, and oh my god, the show is entirely worth watching just because her. For an 82 year-old-woman, she sure can move. She's by no means a great dancer, but she makes up for it by being completely entertaining. Watching the hosts and judges trying to corral her is hilarious on its own part, and the over-the-top hoochie dancing she does will make you pee your pants. As long as she's on the show, I'll be watching it. On a side note, what's funny about the show is that, while the program is completely kitsch, the judges are actually good at providing commentary and criticism. They actually point out specifics of what the contestants did wrong and how they could improve themselves. It's not like the god awful American Idol judges, who just repeat the same four or five things over and over again. "It was pitchy, it came off as cabaret, I didn't dig it"...etc. It's like, do you even know what you're talking about?

No comments: