Thursday, April 9, 2009

Why'd You Have to Kill Him Off?

Last night on Lost the character Caesar, portrayed by the underutilized but always sexy Said Taghmaoui, was killed off by a shotgun blash to the chest fired by Ben. Why did he have to be killed off? Why hire an actor like Taghmaoui to have a recurring role on your show, only to kill off his character before he had a chance to do anything important? Since the beginning of the season, I've been waiting with anticipation for his use on the show, and ultimately their was no purpose for his character. The show has a tendency to kill off characters I'm intrigued by early on - Michelle Rodriguez's Ana Lucia, April Grace's Bea Klugh, Zoe Bell's Regina, Marsha Thomason's Naomi and the one most mad about still, Cynthia Watros's Libby. I'm actually surprised they've kept Juliet going as long has she has. As soon as I got into the character, I thought, great she'll be dead by the end of the season, but here we are two season's later with her still kicking around. Over time, however, Juliet has been wasted as a character, mainly used as part of a love-quadrangle with Jack, Sawyer, and Kate. The writers' lack of creating three dimensional female characters is my main problem with the series, and it's probably why most new characters I become interested in are female. I need my strong female characters, and I keep hoping one is just around the bend, but the series has a tendency to fail me. This isn't a slight against the actresses, as a number of them are quite able, and Yunjin Kim and Elizabeth Mitchell in particular, continue to be two of the best actors on the show. Just please let them have better stuff to do!

No comments: