Friday, April 17, 2009

Kathy Griffin: She'll Cut a Bitch

Between her hosting gig on The A-List Awards and her stand-up special She'll Cut a Bitch, it was so nice to have Kathy Griffin back on my television screen this week. Yes, I know it's cliche to be a gay man who loves Kathy Griffin, but I find her hilarious. Her stream-of-consciousness narratives of meetings/run-ins with celebrities can be increadibly funny ("She's f***ing Cher!"), but what I enjoy most about Kathy is her tongue-in-cheek grasp at fame. Portraying the role of a media-whore who will do anything for a buck and a little notoriety, she perfectly lampoons the ridiculousness of celebrity culture. Luckily her series, My Life on the D-list returns to air in June, with a Bette Midler appearance - "gay gasp!" I just wish Hollywood would take notice, and give Kathy some supporting roles in comedic films or guest spots on sitcoms, though the studios and networks are probably too scared of her skewering its stars to risk it. At least she's found her niche and found success with it.

No comments: