Thursday, March 12, 2009

American Idol - I Hate to Admit It

I didn't really want to post about the show, since I hate to admit I actually watch it. I'm aware of the fact it's a bad show. It's often mean-spirited and shallow, the judges have little, if any, constructive criticism, it promotes mediocrity rather than artistry, and it's very apparent the show is manipulative. Essentially, it's a glorified karaoke contest disguised as a serious talent competition. The sole purpose of the show is to make the producers a lot of money, rather than influence the musice industry. Inspite of all that, I still watch the show, which i'm embaressed about, but at least I understand the show for what it is, and I'm not even a loyal viewer. I never watch the audition episodes, since they only exist to humiliate people on national television, and I didn't watch last year's finale, since I thought the two remaining contestants were boring, and I had no real investment in either of them winning. As for this season, the only one I'm genuinely interested in is Allison, who has shown real personality and stage presence. I think she deserves to win just for her joke about not cutting herself, which had me dying laughing I also kind of like Kris, but that's mainly because he's adorable. Hey, the best reason for watching reality television in cute guys.

No comments: