Sunday, February 8, 2009

Grammy Awards Tonight...Eh

The Grammy Awards are tonight, and while the awards themselves usually suck, I'll still watch the ceremony to see the performances. M.I.A. better be performing, damn it! Here's a run though of a few categories - who I think will win, and who I think should win.

Record of the Year:
"Bleeding Love" - Leona Lewis
"Chasing Pavements" - Adele
"Paper Planes" - M.I.A.
"Please Read the Letter" - Alison Krauss and Robert Plant
"Viva la Vida" - Coldplay

Should Win: "Paper Planes" - which will never happen in a million years! Also, where the hell is Estelle's "American Boys?" It should have been here!
Will Win: "Viva la Vida" - Coldplay's big win for the night

Album of the Year:
In Rainbows - Radiohead
Raising Sand - Robert Plant and Alison Krauss
Tha Carter III - Lil Wayne
Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends - Coldplay
Year of the Gentleman - Ne-Yo

Should Win: Umm? Actually I haven't heard any of these, but I'll say Radiohead, because, well...it's Radiohead
Will Win: Raising Sand - it's the Steely Dan Rule. If an older artist, who has never previously won Album of the Year, gets a nod, they automatically win.

Song of the Year:
"American Boy" - Estelle and Kanye West
"Chasing Pavements" - Adele
"I'm Yours" - Jason Mraz
"Love Song" - Sara Bareilles
"Viva la Vida" - Coldplay

Should Win: "America Boy" - duh
Will Win: "Viva la Vida" - throw another one to Coldplay

Best New Artist:
Adele
Duffy
Jonas Brothers
Lady Antebellum
Jazmine Sullivan

Should Win: Adele - she seems like she'll thrive longer than Duffy
Will Win: Yeesh tough call. Adele seems like the obvious choice, but this is the Grammys, so I'll go out on a limb and guess Lady Antebellum

Best Female Pop Vocal Performance:
"Bleeding Love" - Leona Lewis
"Chasing Pavements" - Adele
"I Kissed a Girl" - Katy Perry
"Love Song" - Sara Bareilles
"Mercy" - Duffy
"So What" - Pink

Should Win: Adele, Duffy, and Pink are all worthy, but based soley on vocal performance, I'll go with "Chasing Pavements," though it's not the best song
Will Win: "Bleeding Love" - the worst on the list

No comments: