Saturday, January 10, 2009

Predicting the Globe Winners

The Golden Globes ceremony airs tomorrow night, and with its arrival, the awards season begins to become clearer. Which films have the necessary momentum to capture Oscar nods, and who are the frontrunners when it comes to the acting categories? Seriously! Who are the frontrunners? I mean, yeah, Heath Ledger is completely locked up for the Oscar in the Supporting Actor category, but the rest of the acting categories are still up in the air. So, here are my predicitons for tomorrow's ceremony.

Best Picture, Drama:
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Frost/Nixon
The Reader
Revolutionary Road
Slumdog Millionaire

Prediction: Slumdog Millionaire. Its only real competition is Benjamin Button, but I think the Globes will want to award an international film and cheer on the "underdog." Slumdog will then steamroll its way to the eventual Oscar win, all the while being called the underdog.

Best Picture, Comedy/Musical:
Burn After Reading
Happy-Go-Lucky
In Bruges
Mamma Mia!
Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Prediction: Vicky Cristina Barcelona. The category is interesting this year, as none of the nominees have a chance at a Best Picture Oscar nod, which actually makes it more fun. I'm going with Vicky, because I'm sure the Hollywood Foreign Press would like to award Woody Allen, since it has been a while. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they awarded it to Mamma Mia!, even though the movie was crap.

Best Actor, Drama:
Leonard DiCaprio - Revolutionary Road
Frank Langella - Frost/Nixon
Sean Penn - Milk
Brad Pitt - The Curious Case of Bejamin Button
Mickey Rourke - The Wrestler

Prediction: Sean Penn. He's in a biopic. He plays a homosexual. Cha-ching! Although, this was the only nomination the film got, so maybe there's not much support behind it. If Penn loses, expect Langella to pick it up. Afterall, he also plays a real life person, and one who is more famous than Harvey Milk. He just lacks the "brave" aspect of playing a homosexual.

Best Actress, Drama:
Anne Hathaway - Rachel Getting Married
Angelina Jolie - Changeling
Kristin Scott Thomas - I've Loved You So Long
Meryl Streep - Doubt
Kate Winslet - Revolutionary Road

Predicitions: Eh...Meryl Streep? I'm ignoring all the online buzz about Hathaway having a star next to her name on the Globes' website, and going with Streep. I could just as easily see Winslet or Hathaway winning. The Best Actress category is so exciting this year. As of yet, no frontrunners have emerged. If Hathway does win this, I think she could take that title, since the Oscars do love their fresh young things in this category.

Best Actor, Comedy/Musical:
Javier Bardem - Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Colin Farrell - In Bruges
Janes Franco - Pineapple Express
Brendan Gleeson - In Bruges
Dustin Hoffman - Last Chance Harvey

Predicitions: Dustin Hoffman. Like Best Picture, this category is fun, as none of the nominees have a real chance at an Oscar nod. I picked Hoffman by a process of elimination. No way are they awarding Pineapple Express an award. Gleeson isn't famous enough. Farrell is, well, Farell. So, that leaves Bardem and Hoffman. Hoffman has the long career, and Bardem was just awarded last year, therefore I'm giving it to Hoffman.

Best Actress, Comedy/Musical:
Rebecca Hall - Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Sally Hawkins - Happy-Go-Lucky
Frances McDormand - Burn After Reading
Meryl Streep - Mamma Mia!
Emma Thompson - Last Chance Harvey

Predictions: Sally Hawkins. Hawkins is the only one with a real chance at an Oscar nod. She's also got all the critics behind her. Now if Streep doesn't win in the Drama category, I think she might win here. She is Meryl Streep and "she's singing and dancing to ABBA, oh my god, me and my friends use to do that, oh my god, she's having so much fun, oh my god, I'm having so much fun, oh my god, she was in Sophie's Choice, oh my god, I love her!"

Best Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight
Best Supporting Actress: Kate Winslet - The Reader
Best Director: Danny Boyle - Slumdog Millionaire
Best Screenplay: Slumdog Millionaire
Best Score: Slumdog Millionaire
Best Original Song: "The Wrestler" - The Wrestler
Best Foreign Film: Waltz with Bashir
Best Animated Film: WALL-E

No comments: