Friday, January 9, 2009

Guild Noms: DGA

The Directors Guild announced their nominations yesterday and...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....huh, what? I'm sorry; I just fell asleep from reading the nominations. It's the same list as the PGA, and about every other group. No excitement. The DGA is often a better indication of the Best Picture lineup than of the Best Director lineup come Oscar time, so expect these five films to be the Best Picture nominees. I doubt, however, that all five of these directors will receive a nod. One of them will probably be left off, and while Ron Howard would make the most sense for a snub, I'm fearing it might be Gus Van Sant. If one of them is left off you can expect the fifth slot to go to either Mike Leigh for Happy-Go-Lucky or Darren Aronofsky for The Wrestler. I can't decide. Then again, this could be a year where the Best Picture and Director categories match up, or it could be like the past few years where a film, which is nominated by all the precursors and guilds, gets snubbed for Best Picture by the Academy, like Into the Wild and Dreamgirls. I'm hoping this is the case.

No comments: