Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sunday Blessings - Jeremy Renner

This week's Sunday Blessings is devoted to actor Jeremy Renner, currently starring in the Kathryn Bigelow directed, Iraq war film, The Hurt Locker. Renner may seem an odd choice; he's doesn't fit the standard of beauty - his face is kind of short, the eyes set wide apart -but it works on him, and I find the man rather sexy. He's also a few years older than he looks. While looking for info on Renner, I found he was 38 years of age, yet I would have sworn he wasn't a day over 30/31. I'm guessing it's the babyface that makes him seem younger. Anyway, the actor first made an impact in the film industry playing serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer in Dahmer, a film which I have yet to see, though everyone keeps telling me to do so. Following the performance he garnered supporting roles in S.W.A.T., North Country, The Assassination of Jesse James..., and 28 Weeks Later, and while I always seemed to notice him - "oh, hey it's that guy" - it wasn't until the "zombie" movie that he truly grabbed my attention. In the film Renner gave a better performance than required (true of most of the cast), and he came off far sexier than before. I'm guessing it was the short-cropped hair and military uniform that did it for me. Plus, I love a man who can handle a large weapon. Renner also recently starred in the ABC drama series The Unusuals, about a group of New York City cops, giving a great performance. It would be nice if Emmy voters gave him an Emmy nomination, but I can pretty much guarantee that won't happen, considering the series' lack of success. As for The Hurt Locker, the film is gathering much accolades and awards buzz, but it's still early in the year, so whether or not that translates into actual Oscar nods remains to be seen. At least the film's critical success will provide Renner with more opportunities in the industry. Well, one hopes as much. Amen.




No comments: