Friday, July 10, 2009

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day

Having missed it in theatres last year, I watched Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day last night on Tivo. It's an entertaining, if slight, film, and it reminded me how much I adored Frances McDormand, Lee Pace (oh God how I miss Pushing Daisies!), and Amy Adams. I don't believe Adams actually gets enough credit as an actress. She's often criticized for playing the same naive type in every film, but I wouldn't consider her character Delysia as naive, since she knows exactly how to sleep her way to success. In reality, it's a very Marilyn Monroe type performance. The true stand out of the film, however, is Scottish character actress Shirley Henderson, playing the manipulative Edythe, her usual babydoll voice coming off quite sinister. It's too bad she didn't gain any awards buzz for the performance.

No comments: