Friday, July 17, 2009

Emmy Nomination Reactions

The Emmy nominations were announced yesterday morning, and there were a number of surprises, but also a good deal of disappointments - it is the Emmys afterall. In their last chance to award Battlestar Galactica, the Emmy voters decided to ignore it once again, with its only major nomination being for direction. I actually thought the show had a chance of picking up a surprise Drama Series nod, as Star Trek: The Next Generation had received a nomination for it's last season, but alas that was not the case. The really surprising shutout, however, belongs to True Blood, which didn't receive any major nominations. HBO had really been pushing the series, but as I had suspected, it had a problem connecting with the voters, being both a genre show and very, very gay. It didn't even get a writing or direction nom, which is where I thought it would make an appearance, since the Emmys seemed to like Alan Ball. Oh well, better luck next year. Even though I love both series, Mad Men and 30 Rock dominating the writing categories, each getting four out of the five nods, is kind of ridiculous. They're we're a number of other series that deserved at least one writing nod. Anyway, a run through of the major categories:

Best Drama Series:
Big Love
Breaking Bad
Damages
Dexter
House
Lost
Mad Men

This year they expanded the categories to six nominees, which of course means we wind up with seven nominees. They seriously need to rewrite the rules to prevent ties. Anyway, cable doninated the category with five of the seven nominees. The networks are probably grumbling, but hey, maybe they should do better quality work. Fox should feel lucky it even got the House nod, since it clearly shouldn't be a part of this lineup. Mad Men will win this in a landslide, since I can't figure out what could challenge it, and the series easily deserves the win. A Breaking Bad win would also make me happy, but I don't think it has the same support in the industry.

Lead Actor - Drama:
Simon Baker - The Mentalist
Gabriel Byrne - In Treatment
Bryan Cranston - Breaking Bad
Michael C. Hall - Dexter
Jon Hamm - Mad Men
Hugh Laurie - House

I'm almost shocked by the James Spader snub, seeing as it was the final season of Boston Legal and the Emmys have loved the performance for some unknown reason. As for the men who did receive nods, I think all but Michael C. Hall as a chance of winning. If I had to, I'd put my money on Jon Hamm, but then I think that if they wanted to award him, they'd have done it last year. Maybe he's just too pretty for them to reward. My second guess would be Baker, in a surprise similar to Patricia Arquette's bizarre win for the first season of Medium.

Lead Actress - Drama:
Glenn Close - Damages
Sally Field - Brothers & Sisters
Mariska Hargitay - Law & Order: SVU
Holly Hunter - Saving Grace
Elisabeth Moss - Mad Men
Kyra Sedgwick - The Closer

As expected they ignored the two best leading lady performances - Mary McDonnell and January Jones. Damn you Emmy voters! I'm happy for Elisabeth Moss's nod, I just wish they had room for both Mad Men ladies. Did Hargitay need another nomination for a character who hasn't really grown in a while? Expect Close to win again, though I wish it was Moss, just for the scene in the finale where she tells Pete she had his baby.

Supporting Actror - Drama:
Christian Clemenson - Boston Legal
Michael Emerson - Lost
William Hurt - Damages
Aaron Paul - Breaking Bad

William Shatner - Boston Legal
John Slattery - Mad Men

Yippee! Aaron Paul got a well deserved nomination. Of course, the Emmys had to ruin it by giving two nods to the men of Boston Legal. I know, I know - I like to rag on that show, but I find it overly awarded. Paul deserves the win, but I'd be happy with a Emerson, Slattery or Hurt win as well, but since this is the Emmys, expect Shatner to take the prize.

Supporting Actress - Drama:
Rose Byrne - Damages
Hope Davis - In Treatment
Cherry Jones - 24
Sandra Oh - Grey's Anatomy
Dianne Wiest - In Treatment
Chandra Wilson - Grey's Anatomy

There were some serious surprises in this category, as they ignored previous favorites rachel Griffiths, Candice Bergen, and Katherine Heigl. Unfortunately they also ignored the best supporting actress turn by Marcia Gay Harden, but they voted for Rose Byrne. I like, not love, Byrne on Damages, but in no way is she a supporting character. She is most definitley the lead, as the series centers around her and her relationship with Close's Patty Hewes. Oy. I don't think there's a single front-runner in the category, as any of them could take the prize, but since she won last year, I'll guess Wiest.

Best Comedy Series:
30 Rock
Enourage
Family Guy
Flight of the Conchords
How I Met Your Mother
The Office
Weeds

Again with the seven nominees, but hey, at least they threw out Two and a Half Men. Poor Pushing Daisies - no nod again, even though it was the best comedy series on television. The Emmys also seem to seriously dislike Desperate Housewives. Seven nominees and still no room for the ladies of Wisteria Lane. I actually think that if the show was submitted in the drama categories it would get some nods. Yay for How I Met Your Mother, but boo to Family Guy. I'm a casual viewer of the series, but even I admit this past season sucked, and the fact it has a Best Comedy Series nod while The Simpsons doesn't is a travesty. The Weeds nod I just find weird, as it finally received a nomination for its least successful season. 30 Rock will win, duh!

Best Actor - Comedy:
Alec Baldwin - 30 Rock
Jermaine Clement - Flight of the Conchords
Tony Shaloub - Monk
Jim Parsons - The Big Bang Theory
Steve Carrell - The Office
Charlie Sheen - Two and a Half Men

They ignored his show in the Best Comedy Series category, but they still had to nominate Charlie Sheen, and over Lee Pace no less. Argh. I find it funny they nominated one of the guys from Flight of the Conchords over the other, when it seems a both or neither type situation. Baldwin will win this again, though I think Carrell deserves it this season for the Michael Scott Paper Company plotline.

Lead Actress - Comedy:
Christina Applegate - Samantha Who?
Toni Collette - The United States of Tara
Tina Fey - 30 Rock
Julia Louis-Dreyfus - The New Adventures of Old Christine
Mary-Louise Parker - Weeds
Sarah Silverman - The Sarah Silverman Program

This is a pretty good line up, and I have no real complaints. I just wish they'd found room for Amy Poehler for Parks & Recreation. The Sarah Silverman nomination still has me chuckling. The fact they can appreciate her brand of humor, gives me some hope in the Emmy voters. I'd say Fey easily walks away with this again, seeing as how Emmy voters haven't yet got their love for her out of their systems. I think she may one day be the winningest female actress.

Supporting Actor - Comedy:
Jon Cryer - Two and a Half Men
Kevin Dillion - Entourage
Neil Patrick Harris - How I Met Your Mother
Jack McBrayer - 30 Rock
Tracy Morgan - 30 Rock
Rainn Wilson - The Office

They really seemed to go gangbusters for 30 Rock this year, with two nominations in this category, but the true shock is Jeremy Piven's omission. I guess the whole fiasco over leaving Speed the Plow because of "food-poisoning" from sushi, actually affected peoples' views of him. This clearly puts the win up for grabs, but I'm leaning towards Harris, as love for him seems to be growing. Plus it would be cool to see the host win an award.

Supporting Actress - Comedy:
Kristin Chenoweth - Pushing Daisies
Jane Krakowski - 30 Rock
Elizabeth Perkins - Weeds
Amy Poehler - Saturday Night Live
Kristin Wiig - Saturday Night Live
Vanessa Williams - Ugly Betty

Hands down, this is the best set of nominees this year, even without a nod for Jenna Fischer. I'm excited that they finally nominated Krakowski, and that they nominated Wiig and not just Poehler. Since last year's winner, Jean Smart, wasn't even nominated, the trophy can go to anyone. I'd give it to one of the singing ladies, Chenoweth or Krakowksi, but I'm guessing the actual winner will be Poehler for her last season on Saturday Night Live.

No comments: