Friday, August 28, 2009

Laura Linney Heads to Showtime

The talented screen actress Laura Linney will executive produce and star in her own series on Showtime, entitled The C Word (an interesting title?), about a woman with cancer (story at EW). Why are all my favorite film actresses moving to television? The small screen already took my Holly Hunter and Toni Collette, and now it's taking my Linney. It's not as if the actress doesn't still get challenging film roles (The Squid and the Whale, Jindabyne, The Savages), but all those films seem to be independents, so the paycheck for the television series is probably better. I only wish I had Showtime. Grrrr. Network television seriously needs to step it up, as all the well-made, female centric series are on cable television. Pretty soon they're not going to have any nominations in the Lead Actress Emmy categories.

No comments: