Tuesday, June 9, 2009

True Blood

Over the weekend I caught up with the first season of HBO's True Blood, which I missed during its initial run this past fall, and I all I can say is I'm hooked. I had previously not watched the series, believing I would have had little interest, but I was wrong. The series has several things going for it - an attractive cast, particularly the men (Stephen Moyer, I want to do bad things with you), well utilized character actors, including Stephen Root, Lizzy Caplan, Adina Porter, and William Sanderson, Anna Paquin's best performance since her Oscar winning role in The Piano, engaging gothic-melodrama storylines, and most importantly, vampires that are both sexy and scary. That last aspect should be a given for any vampire adaptation, yet so few actually are - ahem Underworld franchise. Had I watched the series earlier, it would have factored into my top ten list for the season, as well has getting a nod or two in my acting categories. As a whole, I'd give the first season a B+, and I cannot wait for next Sunday's premiere of season 2, hoping the series will build upon its successful debut.

No comments: