Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sunday Blessings - The Men of True Blood

With the second season of True Blood premiering tonight, this week's edition of Sunday Blessings is devoted to its male cast members. I came to be a fan of the series late in the game... well, very late... well, actually just last weekend when the various HBO channels reran the entire first season, but none-the-less I'm excited for the new season to begin. The series has various elements going for it, but for the purposes of this post, I'm going to focus on its gorgeous actors and their aversion to clothing. Honestly, how much male ass was exposed during its debut season? As for my favorite guy from the cast, that would be Stephen Moyer, who portrays the vampire Bill Compton, lover of Sookie Stackhouse. Facially, the man has some interesting features - I'm guessing its the eyes, sort of always squinting, that does it for me, and I find his not-really-authentic Louisiana accent oddly appealing on the show. Then there's Sam Trammell, who plays the shapeshifting Sam Merlotte, who's adorable in a shaggy sort of way. While Sookie may have freaked out after waking up and finding him naked at the foot of her bed, I would have welcomed the sight. The series also features Alexander Skarsgard as the thousand-year-old Viking vampire Eric Northman. I actually first noticed Alexander last summer, in the great HBO miniseries Generation Kill. He was willing to bare his backside on that series, so hopefully he'll do the same on True Blood. It hasn't happened yet, but I'd attribute it to there never being an appropriate occasion during season 1. This now leads me to Ryan Kwanten, who plays Sookie's brother Jason. Every woman or gay man seems to love Mr. Kwanten, and while the actor is kind of a pretty boy, I still understand the appeal, and I definitly appreciate his constant state of undress on the show. After seeing his bare ass on several occasions, I kind of grew bored with it. "Oh, there's Jason's ass again... hmm... yawn." Ok, I wasn't really that bored, and believe me, I would never want the series to cut down on the amount of time Ryan Kwanten appears naked. Amen.


Stephen Moyer

Sam Trammell

Alexander Skarsgard

Ryan Kwanten

No comments: