Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sunday Blessings - Joseph Fiennes

This week's edition of Sunday Blessings may seem random, but I picked Joseph Fiennes having watched an airing of Shakespeare in Love on some local television station. It was late at night, and I couldn't sleep. Stupid insomnia! I hadn't actually seen the film since it first came out on video ten years ago, forgetting how well written and acted it was. Everyone made a fuss over it beating Saving Private Ryan for Best Picture, but I firmly believe it was a more deserving winner, though neither picture was as brilliant as fellow Best Picture nominee The Thin Red Line. Joseph Fiennes, of course, played the bard himself in Shakespeare in Love, and it's kind of surprising he didn't subsequently have a bigger career. He carried the film, providing a charming performance that was at least on par with Gwenyth Paltrow's award-winning/star-making role. Now to be honest, while I enjoyed his performance, what I was most impressed about Joseph, was his physical beauty, which I seem to have forgotten over the years. Honestly, his lips alone gave me impure thoughts. It also didn't hurt he was decked out in some amazing Sandy Powell costumes - blue leather, I want it! Good genes to seem to run in his family, as older brother and screen god Ralph Fiennes is just as beautiful, if not more so. In a face off, I couldn't decide the more attractive brother, though Ralph is hands down the more talented. Either one -pretty, pretty, pretty. Amen.




No comments: