Friday, May 22, 2009

American Idol Finale

The American Idol season finale aired Wednesday night, the winner finally crowned, and though I know I'm supposed to care - the media insists as much - I couldn't give a damn. Honestly, I couldn't. Why did I use to enjoy this show? I tuned in and out on the finale, the best part being the "Time After Time" duet between Cyndi Lauper and ex-contestant Allison. Being the only one with enough stage presense to develop into a genuine pop star, Allison really should have won this competition. The actual final two were decent enough singers, but I wasn't going gangbusters over them, and while many people - coughmediacough - felt Adam should have won, I have to say Kris is actually a more relevent artist. You can draw comparisons between the type of music he'd perform with current musical acts - i.e. Jason Mraz and John Mayer. That's not to say he's going to be a great artist, because I highly doubt that, but he could have a successful single or two from his album, and let's face it, the media is going to judge his worth as an artist based on sales and not quality. As for Adam, I really don't believe he's going to be a great success. The show's production team are involved with his album, meaning it will be homogenized into something completely safe to appeal to middle America and twelve year old girls, but ultimately fails to really appeal to anyone. Sure there's a good chance the album will be somewhat successful from a financial standpoint; fans of Adam will buy it out of curiosity, but after that I just don't see lasting appeal. At which point he'll appear on Broadway, where I think he really belongs. Adam's not so much a rock star as he is a theatre actor playing the role of a rock star.

No comments: