Friday, May 29, 2009

Best of the TV Season: Top 10 (Part 1)

With the season coming to a close, I decided to do a wrap of the best of television, starting with a top ten list. Now keep in mind this is strictly relegated to shows I watch. There were other series which might have factored in, had I actually caught them, including Friday Night Lights, Weeds, Big Love, True Blood, and In Treatment. Take this list with a grain of salt.

10. Southland (NBC)
I debated whether to put Southland or Brothers & Sisters in 1oth place, as they're both uneven series with great highs interrupted by groan inducing moments. Being the fresher series, I went with Southland. Going for it, the show features two great performances from Regina King and Michael Cudlitz (Emmy nods please), and seems to care more about the emotional core of each character, rather than the crimes they try to solve. The series has been compared to other cop series The Wire, Boomtown, which I both loved, and The Shield, which I always found hugely overrated, but I think if were to last through its second, Southland could find its own footing. Don't cancel it NBC!

9. The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (HBO)
I'm not generally a fan of detective shows, but this series always left me with a smile on my face. Based upon a series of novels by Alexander McCall Smith, No. 1 Ladies'... follows Precious Ramotswe as she attempts to start a successful detective agency in her home country of Botswana. The series successfully evokes a foreign local, whether or not it's successfully Botswana I couldn't say, since I've never been there, and Precious is such an endearing character, you want to befriend her. Who knew singer Jill Scott could be a genuine TV star? The series also features one of the best love stories on the tube, with the emerging romancing between Precious and her suitor, the mechanic Mr. Matekoni.

8. Lost (ABC)
I will always love Lost. Attempting to solve the larger picture, can easily become an enjoyable obsession, but with that being said, I have to admit this was the series' weakest season. The fact it still remains in my top ten is proof of the show's overall quality. At its worst, Lost is still one of the best programs on television. My problem with this season stems mainly from the separation of the characters into different time periods. The show works best when its competing personalites are interacting/colliding/getting it on with each other. The series also left me cold with it Dharma plotline. I know it was necessary for the larger picture, but I didn't care, and the one Dharma Initiative character that peaked my interest, Amy seems to have been forgotten and of no importance. At least the season finale set up for a great final season. I hope.

7. The Office (NBC)
The Office was always a series I respected more than I loved. I could recognize the quality of its acting and writing, but it was never appointment television for me. That was until this season. What got me hooked? Well Amy Ryan's endearing performance in a recurring role as HR Rep Holly Flax, the hilarious Post-Super Bowl episode, and the Michael Scott Paper Company storyline. It takes really talented writers and actors to successfully carry a plotline over several episodes of a half-hour sitcom, andThe Office managed to accomplish as much with Michael quitting Dunder Mifflin to form his own comapny with a reluctant Pam and Ryan. Because of it, Steve Carrell was able to provide a lot more depth to his bumbling Michael Scott. The scene in which he negotiates the buy out of his company, displaying a never-before-seen, successful, buisnessman side of Michael, alone deserves an Emmy. Seriously Emmy voters, give him one!

6. Damages (FX)
The second season of Damages was a genuine improvement over the first, bringing in fresh blood with William Hurt, Marcia Gay Harden, and Marcia Gay Harden's boobies. The idea to expand the show with various plotlines and characters that don't necessarily all converge was an upgrade from the previous season's everything-is-connected viewpoint. Glenn Close is still a hoot, adding greater depth to her dragon-lady Patty Hewes, and Rose Byrne is, well... still uneven, but I remain intrigued/baffled by her. I don't believe her to be a great actress, yet I want Rose to contiue acting. The series would have ranked higher on my list, had it not been for the season finale, which seemed to not make sense, and knocked some of the power out of the previous episodes. Oh well.

(to continue later...)

No comments: