Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sunday Blessings - Charlie Hunnam

Having watched the season premiere of the FX series Sons of Anarchy the other night, I'm devoting today's edition of Sunday Blessings to its star Charlie Hunnam. The series' first season aired last year, and though I was tempted to watch because of the casting of actors I enjoy - Katey Sagal, Ron Perlman, Maggie Siff (I'm so glad she's continued working after her great recurring role on Mad Men) - I never sat down to watch it. A series centered around a motorcycle gang had little interest to me, and I found the notion of former British model Charlie Hunnam playing a rugged member of the gang laughable. So then why did I watch the second season premiere? Well... it's a very shallow reason. I had heard Hunnam showed off his booty in the episode. He did, and it was lovely, but the show as a whole drew me in. I wasn't completely sure what was going on all the time, since I missed an entire season's worth of story, but it was interesting none the less, and I can see myself becoming a regular viewer. The ladies of the show, Sagal and Siff, are of course the stand outs, and I have to give credit to any series that can create interesting female characters. As for Charlie Hunnam, he's surprisingly believable in the role, at least looks wise. He's got just enough scruff to potentially be a member of a motorcycle gang, though he'd still be the prettiest member of the gang by far. Acting wise, I find Hunnam a very limited actor, and I didn't believe he displayed as much internal turmoil as was necessary for the character. Although, I don't believe his acting chops are what get him casted so often, and I can't really complain if he's willing to show some skin. Amen.




No comments: