Thursday, September 3, 2009

My Problem with Top Chef's Casting

Last night, Preeti was kicked off Top Chef, and deservedly so - why would you make a pasta salad on Top Chef? - but, she is now the third woman in a row to get kicked off, and it seems certain Laurine and Jesse will be gone soon as well, which makes me wonder about the casting decisions. There are definitely more "great" male chefs on the series than there are "great" female chefs. While I noticed it in previous seasons, the disparity in talent between the men and women is much greater this season. Out of the women, I only see Jen C. as a potential winner, while I can see several of the men potentially winning - Kevin, the Voltaggio brothers, Mattin, and to a lesser extent Mike and Eli. Yes, there is a bias in the industry and its harder for women to achieve high positions, but thousands of chefs audition for the show each year, so there is no reason why Top Chef can't choose an equal number of highly talented men and women to appear as contestants. It's not even as if the less talented women made it on the show because of entertaining personalities. Some I forget are even on the show - each episode I find myself asking, "Has Laurine been on since the beginning?" So then why exactly are they cast? I just don't get it.

No comments: