Sunday, December 21, 2008

Sunday Blessings - Javier Bardem


In today's edition of Sunday Blessings, we thank Jesus for Spanish actor Javier Bardem, one half of the hottest couple in Hollywood. That's right I said it. Cruise-Holmes and Pitt-Jolie don't have anything compared to Bardem-Cruz. I still haven't seen Vicky Cristina Barcelona, which, yes, I'm embaressed to admit. A Woody Allen film starring Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz and Scarlett Johansson - I should have been there opening night. Anyway, going back to just Bardem, I first took notice of him in Before Night Falls, the Reinaldo Arenas biopic by artist Julian Schnabel. Hollywood probably also first took notice of him in that film, as he received an Oscar nomination for Best Actor. I don't know how anyone could watch that film and not be sexually compelled by him. Oh, the charisma and starpower featured in that film, it'll make a grow man swoon. Of course I watched his subsequent films, as well as his earlier films, like Second Skin and Jamon, Jamon. Now Jamon, Jamon has some serious sexual magnetism between all the actors, which includes Cruz, and I highly recommend it to anyone. So, um, where was I going? Ah yes, No Country for Old Men. Everybody took notice of Bardem then. He became a household name, but not for a role that utilized his sexuality. His fame grew with his portrayal of a psychopath with a Dorothy Hamill haircut, and everyone I knew, who wasn't previously aware of Bardem, considered him a creepy actor. To which I always tried to steer them toward his earlier films. "Seriously, he's a sexpot! Believe me!" Upon seeing them, of course they agreed with me. Damn straight!


No comments: