Thursday, December 4, 2008

Brief Comments on the Grammy Noms

The Grammy nominations were handed out yesterday, and to be perfectly honest, I'm not really a big fan of the Grammys as an awards body. Out of the four main awards, Oscars, Emmys, Tonys and Grammys, there the biggest joke, with the Emmys often a close second. I may have my grudges against the Oscars and their chosen winners, but they sometimes get it right, making surprise decisions, and even when they don't, the winners still reflect the time period in which they won. That cannot be said about the Grammys. Seriously does anyone consider Herbie Hancock's album one of the best of last year, or does anyone actually think it's relevant to the current music industry? No, of course not, but it still managed to pull an Album of the Year win over Kanye West and Amy Winehouse, not to mention all the great artists who weren't even nominated. Anyway, this year's nominees for Album are Coldplay, Ne-Yo, Lil' Wayne, Radiohead and Robert Plant & Alison Krauss. So I guess we can all assume Robert Plant and Alison Krauss will win this. Although, to be fair, their album did receive some great reviews, so it wouldn't be a total "WTF seriously" win. Is there anything I'm happy about, when it comes to this years nominees? Well I'm happy for the Duffy, Estelle, and Adele noms, but the three nominations that actually made me smile and chuckle were M.I.A.'s "Paper Planes" for Record of the Year, Rufus Wainwright's Rufus Does Judy at Carnegie Hall for Best Traditional Pop Album, and Kathy Griffin's For Your Consideration for Best Comedy Album. Those three made me happy.

No comments: