Sunday, June 21, 2009

Sunday Blessings - Ryan Reynolds

The focus of today's Sunday Blessings is actor Ryan Reynolds, star of the just released rom-com The Proposal, which had a surprisingly successfull opening weekend. Tomorrow, I'll talk more about its success and why I'm happy for it, but today is all about Ryan Reynolds. The actor got his start on the really bad sitcom Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place, which became simply Two Guys and a Girl for its second or third season. Apparently the pizza place wasn't necessary. I hate to admit it, but I actually watched the series for three of its four seasons, and I'm guessing primarily because of its attractive cast, since it sure as hell wasn't for the writing. The show did have some good eye-candy. Besides Reynolds, there was Richard Ruccolo, Nathan "Captain Tightpants" Fillion, Traylor Howard, Jennifer Westfeldt and Tiffani Thiessen. Anyway, I'm kind of surprised by Reynolds' lasting power in the industry. He was entertaining enough with the material he had on Two Guys..., but I didn't see any great potential in him. So... either I was entirely wrong at the time, or he got better over the last few years. The man did put in his dues, appearing in a number films that became cult favorites - Dick (yay!) Harold and Kumar, Waiting (ehh) and Van Wilder (eww!) - before getting roles in higher profile pictures with varying degrees of success. While I may not have been a fan of these sorts of films (Blade 3? Pass!) or his performances, I do appreciate Reynolds' means of marketing himself. By that I mean, appearing on every magazine shirtless with a rocking body. Oh dear god the abs on that man! I have to give props to any actor who tries to court sex symbol status for career advancement by appearing in photospreads in various stages of undress. Reynolds, Chris Evans, Seann William Scott - it's all good, except not you Matthew McConaughey - seriously, put a shirt on! Most actresses wind up being objectified, so I don't understand why actors shouldn't have to endure the same. Women and gay men everywhere appreciate the partial nudity, so Reynolds, keep up the good work. Amen.




No comments: